Posted Under CICS-Interview
1. How do you place the cursor on a particular position on the screen? –
Move -1 to the length attribute of the field annd use the CURSOR option.
2. Define the field with IC in the BMS map.
Use CURSOR(n m)??
3. What are the two outputs created as a result of generation of a map? –
The map copybook and the load module.
4. What is the difference between physical map and symbolic map? –
The physical map is the load module and the symbolic map is the data structure.
5. How do you protect a field from being overlaid? -
What is the attribute byte? –
Defines the display/transmission of field. most cases is an output field from the program.
6. How do you use extended attributes ?
Define EXTATT=YES and the correct terminal type.
7. What are the 3 working storage fields used for every field on the map? –
Length, attribute and input/output field.
8. What is MDT? What are FSET, FRSET ?
Modified Data Tag. Bit in the attribute byte indicating modification of field on screen. Happens on an input operation.
FSET. Sets MDT on to ensure field is transmitted. Happens on an output operation.
FRSET. Resets MDT. Until this happens, field continues to be sent.
9. What is the use of DSECT parameter in BMS?
Is the parameter to generate a symbolic map.
10. Do you receive the attribute byte in the symbolic map?
On EOF yes.
11. How do you make your BMS maps case sensitive?
12. What is effect on RECEIVE MAP when
PF key is pressed? Data transmission may happen,
PA key is pressed? Data transmission will not happen.
13. What are SEND MAP MAPONLY & SEND MAP DATAONLY ?
MAPONLY - to send the map alone, without any data. Eg: used for sending Menu screens.
DATAONLY - to send data alone, without sending the screen layout again. Eg: used for refreshing the screen data.
14. What is the difference between a PF key & a PA key ?
PF keys wake up the task and transmit modified data, PA keys only wake up the task.
15. Name the macros used to define the following:
MAP MAPSET FIELD
DFHMSD DFHMDI DFHMDF
16. Can you use OCCURS in a BMS map? If you do, what are the issues related with its use?
Yes. cannot use group by clause???
17. Can you define multiple maps in a BMS mapset?
18. How is the storage determined in the symbolic map, if you have multiple maps?
Storage for maps redefine the first. This means largest map has to be the first.
19. What is the meaning of BMS length of field = 0?
Data was not entered in the field
20. Can you simply check if length = 0 for checking if a field was modified?
No, not if ERASE EOF was used.
21. What do you do if you do not want characters entered by the user to be folded to uppercase ?
Use ASIS option on RECEIVE.
22. What does the BUFFER option in RECEIVE mean ?
Brings the entire datastream from the terminal buffer.
23. What are the steps you go through to a create a BMS executable?
Assemble to create CSECT and Link
24. When you compile a CICS program, the (pre)compiler puts an extra chunk of code. Where does it get included and that is it called? What is its length? -
25. List all the CICS tables and explain their contents. –
26. I have written a CICS program. What tables should I setup to run this program? –
PPT, PCT, (FCT, DCT, RCT (if needed)).
27. In which table would you make an entry for a BMS map? –
28. What is the content of the PPT entry? –
Length, Source, Use count, Lang, Res count DFHRPL number
29. For a CICS-DB2 program, how is the plan referenced? –
Uses a RCT table.
30. How is dynamic memory allocated within a CICS application program? –
Use a GETMAIN
31. What are the restrictions while using GETMAIN and FREEMAIN? –
32. What is the use of a TDQ, TSQ? –
Temporary data stores.
33. How do you read from a TSQ? –
Temp storage read command.
34. If I create a TSQ from one transaction, can I read it from another transaction? –
Yes. As long as they run in the same region.
35. What are extra partition & intra partition TDQs?
Extra partition TDQs are datasets used for communication b’n CICS and other CICS/Batch regions. Intrapartition TDQs are queues for communication within regn.
Check all articles under CICS-Interview