Mainframe CICS Questions CICS Technical Interview Questions.1. Explain what CICS stands for? Describe its importance
CICS is the abbreviated form of Customer Information Control System. It is a is a family of application and transaction servers running in IBM Mainframes. It supports high-volume online transaction processing and management. Over 90 percent of the Fortune 500 companies, and almost all financial institutions like banks and insurance companies use CICS. CICS processes an average of 35 billion transactions per day for different organizations
2. What do we do by using CICS?
CICS is normally used for Real-time or Online processing when that particular processing cannot wait for batch processing normally done at the end of the day for most installations.
3. Explain the most important steps for a CICS program development?
- Get the complete specification
- Get the related subprograms and sourcebooks
- Design the CICS program
- Update the CICS Tables
- Code and compile the map definition.
- Code the program.
- Compile the program.
- Test the CICS program.
The map needs to be compiled first.
5. What is a transaction id or code?A transaction is mostly a four letter unique predefined unit of work, a terminal work will use to invoke a specific map and the associated program.
6. What is a PCT and how it is used?A PCT is a short name for Program Control Table, which contains the trans-id and the associated program which will be invoked when the trans-id is used.
7. What is a PPT and how it is used?A PPT contains a valid list of program names and it also indicates the storage address if the program has already been loaded. CICS uses PPT to determine whether it will load a new copy of the program if the program is invoked.
8. Have you ever heard of SNT in CICS Processing?Yes, it contains the names of all valid users of the system.
9. What is the use of DFHCOMMAREA and where it is located?It helps to transfer data between two transactions and it is located in the LINKAGE SECTION.
10. Are you familiar with CEMT and CSMT functions? What does these transactions do for you?These are normally supervisory functions, where they can be used to cancel tasks running at a different terminals. CSMT is used to update PPT. But I never had much chance to use them.
11. What transaction will you use to debug a CICS Program?CEDF, which means CICS Execution Diagnostic facility.
12. What XCTL and LINK command is used for?
XCTL command transfers control to another program without setting up a return mechanism whereas the LINK command transfers control to next logical lower level with a return mechanism
13. Why the EXEC CICS HANDLE command is used?It is used to specify what action the program needs to take when certain exceptional conditions occur.
14. Why the EXEC CICS RETURN command is used?It is used simply to return control to CICS with no option and the terminal session ends.
15. What are the parameters will you use to code a SEND MAP command?SEND MAP(name of the map)
MAPSET(name of the mapset which contains the specific map)
FROM(specifies the symbolic map)
MAPONLY(specifies dataonly needs to be sent)
DATAONLY(specifies that only data from the symbolic map needs to be sent)
16. How do you terminate each CICS commands?EXEC CICS
17. How do you obtain the storage dump from CICS?CICS automatically adds the storage dump to a special file called dump data set. When the CICS is terminated, the dumps are automatically printed. The DSN can be found from the respective installation personnel.
18. What is the meaning for AEI9 CICS abend?
19. What are the following entities represent?EIBAID It is an one character field that indicates which attention key was used for the last RECEIVE command.
EIBTRMID This field supplies the name of the terminal running the task.
EIBCALEN This field represents the length of the communication area passed to my program. If no commarea is passed, it is set to zero.
20. How do you logoff from a CICS transaction?
Blank the screen, then type CSSF LOGOFF.