1. What is trigger level in the context of TDQs?
For intrapartition TDQs specify the # records at which ATI happens. not applicable for extra partition TDQs.
2.How do you fire a batch job from a CICS txn ?
Define an extrapartition TDQ as an internal reader and write the JCL to it. Terminate the JCL with /*EOF.
3. What is ATI? What kind of TDQ can be used?
Automatic Task Initiation. Intra partition TDQ.
4. Do you require a table entry for a TSQ?
If recovery is needed.
5. Is there any entry for TSQs in CICS tables?
Yes in the DFHTST.
6. What is the use of DCT?
Destination Control Table used to define TDQs
7. What is ENQ, DEQ ?
Task control commands to make resources serially reusable.
8. I have TSQ with 15 items. I want to delete the 10th item. How do I do that?
9. Can you issue SQL COMMIT from a CICS program? –
10. What is the other way of terminating a transaction? –
EXEC CICS SYNCPOINT. Assuming it is a LUW. This will not end the Xn.
11. What is an ASRA abend ?
Any data exception problem SOC7, SOC4 etc.
12. What is an AEY9 abend ?
DB2/IDMS not up.
13. What are the situations under which NEWCOPY is required ?
When a program has been used in CICS atleast once and then changed and recompiled.
14. What is 2 phase commit?
What is EXEC CICS RETRIEVE ?
Used by STARTed tasks to get the parameters passed to them.
15. Name some important fields in the EIB block ?
EIBRESP, EIBCALEN, EIBRRCDE, EIBTASK, EIBDATE, EIBTIME
16. Can you use DYNAMIC calls in CICS ?
Yes, the called routine must be defined in PPT and the calling program must use CALL identifier..
17. How do you handle errors in CICS pgms ?
Check EIBRESP after the call or use the HANDLE condition.
18. Suppose pgm A passes 30 bytes to pgm B thru commarea and pgm B has defined its DFHCOMMAREA to be 50 bytes . Is there a problem ?
Yes, if B tries to access bytes 31-50.
19.When an XCTL is done, does the tranid change ? Is a new task created ? Does it cause an implicit SYNCPOINT to be issued ?
No, No, Yes.
20. How do you execute a background CICS txn ?
With a START or ATI.
21. Can a CICS region be attached to more than one DB2 subsystem ?
22. What determines the DB2 subsystem to which a particular CICS region is attached ?
23. What is the DSNC transaction used for ?
24. How do you handle error in a CICS program?
25. What is the difference between START and XCTL ?
START is used to start a new task. It is a interval control command. XCTL is used to pass control to a program within the same task. It is a program control command.
26. What is the usage of language in the PPT entry?
Language interface and call parameters???
27. Can you have CICS code in a copybook? If yes, what happens during compilation?
Yes. Needs to be preprocessed.
28. What is an AICA abend?
29. How would you resolve an ASRA abend?
In COBOL II start with CEBR, and get the offset/instruction.
30. How do I find the name of the CICS region inside my COBOL program?
31. When you do a START, what will the value of EIBCALEN?
32. How are VSAM files Read in CICS pgms? –
File Control Commands. Random, Sequential, forward and backward.
33. How will you access a VSAM file using an alternate index?
Thru the path. Define path as an FCT and use normal File control commands.
34. How do you rollback data written to an ESDS file?
Define the file as recoverable. in cases where records have been inserted into the file, you may need to run a batch program to logically delete the inserted records.
35. I have done a START BROWSE on a VSAM dataset. Can I do another START BROWSE without doing an END BROWSE?
36. Can you access QSAM (seq ) files from CICS ?
37. Can you access ESDS files from CICS ?
73. What is CICS ?
CICS - Customer Information Control System
CICS is a telecommunications monitor software product from IBM. The IBM mainframe operating systems are batch and time-sharing. CICS supports the development and execution of online applications. It does this by
- communicating with terminals
- sending and receiving fomatted data
- accessing files and database
CICS itself is batch job running on the operating system with high priority. CICS does scheduling of programs that run under the CICS region.